Our share-time URL shortening makes it easy to integrate AddThis with your bit.ly click analytics. Twitter shares are automatically shortened with t.co so you only need to use this feature if you want bit.ly integration. Best of all, it works with vanity domains as well as the usual bit.ly domains.
At this time, only shares to Twitter are supported with our bit.ly shortening service.
To configure our URL shortener, you will need to do two things:
- Register a new app from Bitly and provide us with your Client ID and Secret. Your credentials will be stored safe on our servers and won’t be exposed in your site’s html. The steps for doing so are included below:
1) Log into your bitly.com account.
2) Click on Profile Settings > Registered OAuth Applications > Get Registration Code. You will then receive a confirmation email from Bitly.
3) Click the link from the Bitly email, and set up your new application with these options:
Application Name: (Choose any unique name)
Application Link: https://www.addthis.com
Redirect URIs: https://0-www-addthis-com.librarycatalog.vts.edu/darkseid/publisher/bitly-oauth-token
Description: AddThis Tools Link Shortening
(Note: it is very important to get the values exactly)
4) Open the Bitly Application that you just created. Copy the Client ID and Secret from that screen. Then log into your addthis.com dashboard, click on Profile Settings, navigate to Link Shortening, and enter the Client ID and Secret in the corresponding fields.
5) Click on “Save and Authorize,” which will take you to a confirmation on bitly.com. Approve the request.
Bit.ly Shortening Code
If you’re using our sharing buttons, add the code below to your addthis_share configuration object and specify the services that you want to use shortening. For example “twitter”, as shown here:
You’ll also need to make sure that your page has a valid canonical tag in order for the URL shortening to work properly.
Last modified: April 22nd, 2020